GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autobahn brand hierarchy

triode12

Go Kart Champion
A documentary on the Autobahn being shown yesterday afternoon mentioned an unwritten rule that drivers on the Autobahn have to obey.

Apparently there is a hierarchy amongst the car brands, the ones further down the list has to give way to ones above them in the list on the overtaking lane.

1. Porsche
2. Mercedes
3. BMW
4. Audi
5. VW
6. Opel

So our cars sit quite low down the food chain....:rolleyes:

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Yeah caught a little bit of it... autobahn is 10% written 'official' rules and 90% unwritten code of conduct. If only people here drove with such consideration! If you haven't noticed that 911 coming up behind you at 250kmh flashing lights and you should move, if he has his left indicator you shoudl REALLY move... but no flipping the bird or you're in trouble with the 5-0.

Thats a fair heirachy for Germany though... wonder where the Italian cars fit into that list? they'd have to be up the top.

camerooney

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Dub!
Thats interesting, I never knew that.
People I've spoken to that have driven over there have mentioned you can get some cars that will literally go past you that fast that you can hardly even make out what sort of car they're driving.

A trip to one of the autobahns is definitely on my list of things to do.
:wink:

morty

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk5 R32 3door
I'll be there in 3 weeks.......

Stint in Germany before heading into Austria for 10 days' skiing..... WOOT!

Now where is that porsche museum?

macad

apple pixel pusher
The only rule I used is look in your rear window a lot and get out of the over taking lane unless you're overtaking. Realistically I didn't see much exotic metal, maybe a couple of Ms but it's a bit disappointing really. What you tend to see is Mark 3 Golf diesels cruising at 160-180Kms.

It's good fun though, bit nerve wracking as you realise that as an Australian you're a shit driver, but you learn pretty quickly.

Porsche museum is in Stuttgart, as is the new Mercedes museum, I've been to the Mercedes one and it's great, the Porsche one has just re-opened and is supposed to be good too. Stuttgart is a shit town though - but not really surprising as it's an industrial town.

That list looks like BS really if you're doing 200ks and a Golf comes up doing 220ks, the Porsche driver is going to be moving to left lane letting the Golf (or whatever car) go by.

RobGtSport

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW R32
LOL this is Gold
I've been on the autobahn many times over the last 3 years and it is awesome.
220 kmh in the GT TDI :) (dad driving)

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
I suppose it would look stupid if Germany had the same freeway limits as in Australia.

Italy are reviewing their speed limits. They're increasing the limit on most Hwy's because cars are built safer these days to travel at higher speeds. A rello of mine from Italy is staying over & thinks we all drive like granny's in OZ. :cool:

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Italy are reviewing their speed limits. They're increasing the limit on most Hwy's because cars are built safer these days to travel at higher speeds. A rello of mine from Italy is staying over & thinks we all drive like granny's in OZ. :cool:

Meanwhile in Australia we're lowering speed limits :thumbdown:

zogger

Ready to race!
Yah but major difference between the build quality of highways in Aus to those in Germany, let alone the drivers general attitude on the roads. Lets be honest those WHO have driven in Germany and most European countries (other than italy cause they mad!!) will contest to the major differences. Personaly i think the maturity of most drivers in Australia and more so in NZ is indifferent to a 14 year old playing Gran Turismo on the PS3.

triode12

Go Kart Champion
I suppose it would look stupid if Germany had the same freeway limits as in Australia.

If we drive like grannys then I would like to know what he would think of the Japs. Their freeway speed limit is 60-80km/hr depending on the location.

iluvbrownale

White Lightning

Get Scotty to pick em up from the airport next time they come over.

bwen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI Pirelli
Thats interesting, I never knew that.
People I've spoken to that have driven over there have mentioned you can get some cars that will literally go past you that fast that you can hardly even make out what sort of car they're driving.

I have a close friend who went back packing over in Germany last year and one of the jobs he picked up was being a driver for a business man who had a massive fascination with cars. He was driving a GT2 with the boss sitting in the passenger seat and he was going a comfortable 160km/h and was being over taken by cars he couldn't even make out :eyebulge:

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG